Sunday, March 20, 2011

Ruffled skirt

There is something you should know about me. If I have a vision in my head for what I want and for how much I want it (and the emphasis is on FOR HOW MUCH), than it can go two ways-

1. I just walk in the store and there it is and I am sooo excited that I will not stop talking about my find for next five days and the life is just awesome. Or....

2. I will spend two and a half weeks going from store to store hoping to see my vision on the next rack, cursing quietly at children's clothing fabricators for producing every imaginative thing possible for a little girl to wear, except for what I need. In this case life is still awesome, it just got a little more complicated.

So, If the second scenario happens I usually have no choice, but figure out how to create the thing I have imagined by my self.

About 3 weeks ago it happened. The second way. I wanted to get a dark color ruffled skirt for Emma for under $5, that she could wear to the church. Could not find it. Was either not dark, not ruffled or way over my budget. So I made my own.

To my surprise, it was not as complicated as I thought it would be. At the time I did not have a blog yet, so there are no detailed pictures for tutorial. I had a half yard or fabric which I got in Walmart from their discounted fabric shelf and a piece of elastic. The total cost is about $0.85.

To brake it down as much as I can on how I made it, I can only tell you this-

I cut the fabric lengthwise in 6 strips, gradually increasing the length for lower layers.
Hemmed and scrunched up the ruffle strips and sowed it all together. There are no zippers, or buttons involved, except the one on the flower I added at the end. It took me about a day and a half to finish it (and that's why I said that life is still wonderful just gets more complicated) but I think it turned out well and Emma absolutely loves it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment